Wednesday, May 21, 2014

DIY Backpack Wall... Cute AND Functional!

 I can't even tell you how glad I am that spring is finally here!  Nothing lifts the spirits like seeing the new life in trees, plants, and flowers... there is no green like "spring" green!

This is not to say I spent the winter pining away for brighter outdoor colors and warmer weather!  Certainly not!  My husband (who was ever-so-patient with me) helped me remodel a wall in our kitchen to make it more functional.  But, because we also have to look at it all the time, it also had to be VERY cute!

For all my searching, I couldn't find a "before" picture, so let me paint it for you:  A useless wall, in front of which sat a beautiful, wrought-iron, classic baker's rack that was all but invisible under coats, sweaters, hats, and anything else that could be hung on it.  I suppose it was functional, but we weren't happy.

So, this mind of mine that has been laying dormant for YEARS (seriously...I have witnesses...) went to work figuring out what to do with that wall.


Yes, paint is a requirement, of course!  And that is something the kiddos can help with, so we had a blast!



I also love (LOVE) beadboard, so that was a must, and then we needed a shelf to display stuff on...but the shelf had to be high enough and shallow enough that we wouldn't ram our heads into it.  Functional, remember?  OH!  And cute hooks/knobs for bags, purses, and backpacks!


Sorry, but I'm a stickler... coats really do belong in the coat closet.  They cover everything, and I didn't want to lose sight of my second-ever home improvement project.  :)

AFTER:



Ahhhhh.... we love it!   When we were done, we decided that we couldn't just put the plain ol' plastic switch plate back on, so I went out to Etsy and found one.  Like it?  Here's where you can find one like it, and sooooo many more!

I also redecorated our daughters' bathroom, so there'll be a post on that soon, too.  It was a busy winter!

Till next time, friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment